Preparing tomorrow’s science leaders.
A College of Science and Technology (CST) program for highly qualified first-year students and rising sophomores who demonstrate academic excellence and a passion in science or technology, the Science Scholars Program (SSP) offers CST undergraduates research opportunities, professional mentorship and preparation for top graduate programs and professional schools.
SSP offers one-on-one coaching to discuss educational and/or professional goals and objectives; personal and professional development through seminars, workshops, conferences, and colloquia; access to professionals who can help with preparations for external research opportunities such as REU programs; and assistance with applications for prestigious national and international scholarships such as the Rhodes, Marshall, and Goldwater.
Financial support for summer research.
Each incoming CST freshman selected as a Science Scholar is awarded up to $4,000 per summer for three summers to be used for either on or off campus summer research or research abroad opportunities approved by the college. Students with Summer Merit Stipends will receive two funded summers in SSP.
- Must be a College of Science and Technology student
- Freshman applicants must be admitted to the University Honors Program
- High scores in the AP or IB exams in math or science subjects
- Research experience or high level science fair projects (awards preferred)
- Participation in high-level external science or math programs (preferred)
- Other significant academic achievements
- Evidence of strong passion, dedication and achievement in science/technology research