Hazel Tomlinson Lecture Hall Dedication
The Hazel M. Tomlinson Lecture Hall was dedicated with a ribbon-cutting ceremony in late 2018, as part of CST’s 20th anniversary celebration. Located in the Science and Education Research Center, the state-of-the-art lecture hall was named in honor of longtime chemistry professor Hazel Tomlinson (BA ’26, MA ’28, Chem).
Tomlinson inspired generations of Temple students as a faculty member and assistant dean from 1928 to 1974. After earning her master’s degree, she served as an instructor from 1928 until 1939. After earning her PhD from Columbia University, she was an assistant professor from 1939 to 1949 and an associate professor from then until 1968, when she became an assistant dean of the College of Liberal Arts until her retirement in 1974.
Robert Fineman (BA ’66, Chem), who regarded Tomlinson as an inspiring mentor, provided much of the leadership to have a lecture hall named for Tomlinson. Fineman, who was accompanied by his wife Bonnie, gave a very moving speech at the dedication. Dean Michael L Klein also spoke, as did Chemistry Professor Ann Valentine. Also attending were several members of the CST Board of Visitors, including Albert Brown (BA ’64, Chem), Stanley Lefkowitz (BA ’65, Chem), and his wife Debbie, and Seda Tarzian (BA ’48, Bio).
In her half-century at Temple, Hazel Tomlinson inspired enduring devotion in those she trained, mentored, and supported. Her strict classroom manner was paired with her powerful commitment to both the academic growth and the personal development of her students. Teaching was a duty she held above all others. Even today, Dr. Tomlinson continues to help outstanding chemistry students through a CST scholarship established by her estate in 1995.
1922: Setting her course. As a high school senior in Huntington Valley, Hazel decides that she wants to teach chemistry.
1922: A college freshman at 15. It is written in her year book, “Hazel is really too young to study Chemistry but her age seems to have nothing to do with her grades.”
1927: Dreams realized. A newly minted Master of Chemistry, Hazel begins her career at Temple as an assistant professor.
1939: Doctor Tomlinson. She receives her doctorate at Columbia, earned by studying in the summers while teaching during the year.
1974: 52 Temple years. Dr. Tomlinson retires and the messages of respect and remembrance from her former students pour in.
Hazel’s legacy lives on every day in the chemistry classrooms and laboratories of today’s Temple. CST initiatives like Science Scholars and Undergraduate Research Program allow faculty and students to work side by side. Now, as in Hazel’s day, professors are enriching the lives of Temple students in the classroom, in the laboratory, and beyond.
Pictured at top: (l to r): Robert Fineman (BA ’66, Chem), Chandrakant Gupta, (MA ’58, Chem), Dean Michael L. Klein, FRS, Albert Brown (BA ’64, Chem), Stanley Lefkowitz (BA ’65, Chem), Professor Emeritus David Dalton, and Arthur Dawson (BA ’68, PhD ’76, Chem)