URP Frequently Asked Questions


What is the Undergraduate Research Program?

As part of its effort to encourage undergraduate participation in scientific research, the College of Science and Technology created the CST Undergraduate Research Program (URP). This program allows students in the College of Science and Technology to work with distinguished Temple faculty members on both the Main campus and the Health Sciences campus completing hands on research in their particular field of interest.
This research program runs in the Fall, Spring, and Summer – students can apply for the semester that best fits their schedule. However, students can only participate in URP for a total of two semesters, only one of which can be summer, students cannot do two summers of URP.

Why would I participate in URP?

Students who are seeking a career which includes post undergraduate education are often required to obtain hands on research work to be considered for professional school.  Many job opportunities that a student may seek are also looking for students who have spent time in the lab outside of just the classroom experience.  Completing hands on independent research may be critical to the next step in your educational or professional endeavors.

How do I go about applying for URP?

Students are required to apply each semester for participation in URP - this is a very selective program so a student will need to have a solid GPA in their CST related courses as well as a strong university GPA. CST GPA of 2.75 in all CST classes (including repeated CST courses and withdrawn CST courses). Both will be reviewed during the URP acceptance process.

The program is open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors.  Typically, freshmen have not completed enough of the required entry level CST courses to be considered for the program.  Transfer students who have been in CST for two semester may also apply.

Students will be sent an email informing them about the application deadlines to apply.  They must then complete the required application online by the due date to be considered. Fall and Summer applications are available in March. Spring applications are available in October. Students may indicate during the application process which URP faculty member they might be interested in working with as their faculty research sponsor– students can specify more than one URP faculty sponsor.

Students who are selected to participate in Fall or Spring URP will take a 2-4 credit research course (on rare occasions we will allow a 1 credit course with a petition). They will work with a Faculty sponsor to perform research work in the faculty member's lab. Students are expected to work approximately 3 times the number of credit hours per week in the lab and may be asked to participate in conferences or to showcase their research work in the department. Students may also be paid for additional time in excess of their required course work requirement in the lab if the faculty sponsor supports the additional research work.  Students may earn up to $9.00 an hour for a maximum of 9 hours each week above the required course time in the lab. Students MUST be taking a 3 or 4 credit research course to receive pay for additional time in lab over their required hours.  Students who are taking only a 1 or 2 credit hour research course are not eligible for additional hours of pay.

Who do I contact for more information?

Rose McGinnis
Director of Professional Development & Undergraduate Research Program
CST Advising Office
Paley Library